Monday, November 14, 2005

This American Life

I resisted this show for as long as I could. Chris had found it first and so caving in and listening would have been a sign of weakness. But, knee deep in Chinese flashcards, and in need of audio entertainment, I caved in and visited the show's website, two weeks ago to see what all the fuss was about.

I can't believe I waited so long. From my very first episode, "Notes on Camp", I have stood in complete awe at the stories being told by Ira Glass and friends. I am amazed by this show. "This American Life" is one of those rare discoveries in my life, up there with "The Office" and "The Beach Boys", where I just stand back and marvel at the skill on display, and then get slightly depressed at how good it is, and then just feel grateful that it exists. There are at least 300 episodes of TAL online. I must have listened to about 30 so far. Hopefully the rest will last me until Christmas.

Along with Sufjan Stevens, this makes two big Knight family discoveries for Chris Knight. Is it possible that I, the ultimate trendsetter of the Knight family, am being replaced? Having invented the boop and brought rap music into 30986 Steeplechase, it was inevitable that I had nowhere to go but down. But now the reality is setting in, it hurts bad. I need a new discovery, and fast.

(Of course, Chris seems to have found out about TAL from Mr. Clemmons, and Sufjan from Roland. If I am to stay innovative, I guess the moral is I need to check their blogs more often. Is this possible?)

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Oh man, this is war

Boop- Invented by Chris Knight after watching an episode of Malcolm in the middle. Not only did I invent the boop and tell thomas of it, but I was the first implementer of it, once Peggy started telling us to do chores.

TAL- Clemmons
Sufjan- Roland+Metacritic

Thats the real story

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter