Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Guitar

Today was a marked improvement over yesterday, which really wouldn't take much, but I went on and got myself a guitar. The store was originally asking 110 for the guitar which is some Chinese brand, but I got them down to 40 with a case, two extra sets of strings a strap and some picks. I probably could have got it for a little cheaper, but I still haven't mastered the art of the deal here. Anyway, I brought it home at around 6 pm and began to play when I noticed that it sounded absolutely terrible. I would completely tune it up, but then the second I would play a chord, it would detune and sound absolutely awful. This perplexed me, but not for long, when I looked down and noticed that the stock strings were so poor that each strum was actually bending them into a new shape. I added the fender strings that were a part of the deal and it sounds absolutely great. The problem is, I've been playing for the last three hours. You see, I really like playing guitar, I really dislike studying Chinese. This has created somewhat of a problem, but I came up with a solution. Whenver I need to stop playing guitar, I'm going to play the song "After Hours" by the Velvet Underground, after that I can't play until I've studied for a really long time. Back home, Chris and I have something like this, where we will play some songs and always end on the White Stripes' "Let's Build a Home". So far, my little plan has worked out, except that instead of starting to study, I've started to blog. Oh well. Hey look at that the action my guitar is looking a little high, maybe I can fix that...

1 Comments:

Blogger Roland Allen said...

Tom - this story reminds me of the watches, and cds, etc - I bought at the flea market in Beijing....

The watch stem came off the moment I pulled it out to set the time - the cds had paint on the side that was supposed to play.... hummm....

I'd be carefull about buying a car, if I were you.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter