Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Ice-T and Ice Cube

As I've mentioned previously in the blog I got a bunch of snapple iced tea at the Fristfest. Too much in fact. So to get rid of the Snapple Iced Tea that was clogging up my refrigerator like so much bad cholesterol I decided to throw a party called: "Tom's Iced Tea/Ice-T Party". The theme was that I would play Ice-T songs and everyone that came would get a free iced tea (or two if they were greedy!) Well right away we had a problem--I had no Ice-T songs! To my chagrin, noone was even streaming Ice-T over iTunes. Thanks to some quick thinking, and the Princeton populations general ignorance of the subtleties of gangsta rap, I was able to play Ice Cube and noone noticed. The party was a mild success, with several people coming. I will not try to claim that it was a blowout, but I think if you asked my guests to list the top 5 moments in their life, you would see this party on a number of lists.

Chris just showed me that Mr. Raibon's cd is on iTunes now, but then I noticed that noone has bought it. Depressing.

Speaking of iTunes, I have something to say to bands making albums nowadays. This is directed at Green Day, Brian Wilson etc... the bands that make their albums designed to be one constant song so that the end of every song is the beginning of the next song. Stop it! iTunes and iPod's do not have gapless playback meaning that the end and beginning of every song sounds stupid and ridiculous. Actually maybe I should direct this at apple. To all the apple exec's that read this blog (Steve Jobs, I'm looking at you) please add gapless playback to iTunes. How long could it possibly take? A couple of seconds? And don't give me that "use the cross fader" nonsense. How dare you even invent the cross fader. How dare you!

Now the part where I write about music, and seem pretentious and noone reads. Nashville Skyline is great. Much less depressing than "Blood on the Tracks" which I can hardly listen to anymore, because it's so sad. I listened to "Velvet Underground" today for the first time, and was quite pleased (not the band, the album, you idiot). The end of this one reminds me of the end of "Flood" of all albums, because the second to last track is experimental, followed by a very slow soft song. Come to think of it, that's how the Beatles ended the white album. Before that album they put the experimental song at the end (see Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's). When critics look back at this blog, they will probably say that it follows in the tradition of "The White Album" in that the penultimate paragraph is very experimental and technically wild, while the last paragraph is slow, soft, and ultimately dull and pointless. How Meta.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter